On view @ Larchmont Library as published on http://larchmont.patch.com/

Source: http://larchmont.patch.com/

Cleopatra and Evil Queen Go Sledding in Larchmont
Sleds painted with the faces of infamous women characters and photos of gazebos are now on view at the public library.
By Keith Loria |
Email the author | March 6, 2010
The Evil Queen Credit Keith Loria

Zoom
on working on specific themes, and two interesting ones decorate the walls of the Oresman Gallery at the Larchmont Public Library for the month of March.
On one wall hangs the exhibit "Heads on Sleds," consisting of a dozen snow-wing sleds painted with the faces of infamous women characters, such as the Evil Queen from Snow White and Cleopatra.
"I was walking around my neighborhood one day and there was a sled thrown on someone's lawn, and because I paint surfaces, I thought it was a really unique potential for something, so I bought it and it sat in my studio for two years," says artist Ann Ladd Ferencz. "One day I turned around and realized it was the perfect shape of Miss Clavel from the book 'Madeline.' It was the middle of the night, so I put on the light and painted it."
When Ferencz included the sled as part of an exhibition of her work, the response was incredible, and she realized she had to do more.
"A friend of mine dropped off another sled she had and I did Cleopatra, and then I went on E-bay and purchased more of them," she says. "It turned out to be a women's series and I included a praying mantis, which is the ultimate female."
The library showcase is the first time the sleds have been shown together, and to finish off her last sled, Ferencz painted her self-portrait. The funny thing about this work is that Ferencz specializes in painting murals, so the smaller sleds seems to be way out of her element.
"The hardest thing about being a mural artist is getting some blank walls so you can show your artwork," Ferencz says. "I can just somehow walk up to a wall, see it, and my brush just sort of takes me there. I don't like painting small. I paint very fast and I like transforming large walls in fun, humorous ways."
A second artist on display this month is photographer H. David Stein, who is hanging a series of gazebos from around Larchmont.
Stein, too, is a bit out of his element with the show's collection, as he normally photographs nature and macro landscapes, focusing on really close-up images.
"Since I have been in Larchmont, it always occurred to me that people want pictures of the gazebos," explains Stein about what inspired the series. "If people come here and stay for a couple of years, they always want a picture of Larchmont to take home with them and they always want a gazebo. They typify Larchmont."
Stein began taking photos of all he could find, snapping shots across from the library, of those lined up waiting to take wedding photos in Manor Park and even a few he discovered at private homes.
"I went around taking photos of the gazebos at different times of the year and different times of the day," he says. "I wound up with 12 different gazebos." In addition to the pictures in the show, Stein made a commercially produced poster of the images, which is available for $20.
A retired surgeon, Stein says his photography started as a hobby, but got out of hand, for the better. He hopes to continue exhibiting his work.
Both artists will be on display for the entire month of March.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soon opening at the Whitney

meet the artist Liam Roberts