Skip to main content

Press review ..continues: "SUCCESSFULL and SCHIZOPHRENIC"


SOURCE  NYTIMES 
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/27/opinion/sunday/schizophrenic-not-stupid.html?pagewanted=1

OPINION

Successful and Schizophrenic



Angie Wang








THIRTY years ago, I was given a diagnosis of schizophrenia. My prognosis was “grave”: I would never live independently, hold a job, find a loving partner, get married. My home would be a board-and-care facility, my days spent watching TV in a day room with other people debilitated by mental illness. I would work at menial jobs when my symptoms were quiet. Following my last psychiatric hospitalization at the age of 28, I was encouraged by a doctor to work as a cashier making change. If I could handle that, I was told, we would reassess my ability to hold a more demanding position, perhaps even something full-time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soon opening at the Whitney

meet the artist Liam Roberts