What is the Museum Mile Festival?:
During this annual festival, 5th Avenue is closed to traffic and becomes home
to a block party, complete with musical and artistic entertainment for children and adults.
In addition to the nine museums offering free admission, there are activities,
musical entertainment, and artist demonstrations along Fifth Avenue.
Face painting and chalk drawing along Fifth Avenue are especially fun for children.
Which Museums Participate in the Museum Mile Festival?:
All participating museums are located along Fifth Avenue.
- El Museo del Barrio - 105th Street
- Museum of the City of New York - 103rd Street
- The Jewish Museum - 92nd Street
- Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum, Smithsonian Institution - 91st Street
- National Academy Museum and School of Fine Arts - 90th Street
- Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum - 89th Street
- Neue Galerie New York - 86th Street
- Goethe-Institut New York/German Cultural Center - 83rd Street
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art - 82nd Street
Tips for Enjoying the Museum Mile Festival:
- Be prepared for the weather - the festival is held rain or shine
- Be prepared for crowds - the event is attended by 50,000 annually
- Lines at museums can be long, but move quickly
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art and Guggenheim Museum tend to be the busiest
- This is a great opportunity to check out museums along the mile that you've never visited before
- Spend some time strolling Fifth Avenue - artists and musicians,
- as well as cultural organizations offer an array of entertainment along Fifth Avenue
Directions to the Museum Mile Festival:
4/5 to 86th Street; 6 to 86th, 96th and 103rd Streets; walk two blocks west to Fifth Avenue
Restaurants Near the Museum Mile Festival:
In addition to vendors selling hot dogs, beverages, and pretzels,
check out these nearby eateries near Museum Mile.
- 92 - Moderate-Expensive American Cuisine
45 E. 92nd St. (Madison)
- Cafe Sabarsky - Moderately priced German/Austrian cuisine
1048 Fifth Ave. (in the lobby of the Neue Gallerie at 82nd St)
- Caffe Grazie - Expensive Italian cuisine
26 E. 84th St. (Madison Ave)
- One Fish Two Fish - Moderately priced American cuisine
1399 Madison Ave. (97th St.)
- Sarabeth's - Moderate-Expensive American Cuisine
1295 Madison Ave., Hotel Wales (92nd/93rd)
Museum Mile Festival Resources
Summer in New York City
Best of New York City
- Museum Mile Festival -- NYC Street Fair Features Free Museum Admission, Liv...
- Wifi Location Directory -- Free Wifi Hotspots in New York City
- BAMbus: How to Get to Brooklyn Academy of Music by Bus from Manhattan
- Most Expensive New York City Restaurants - Business and Expense Account Res...
- April 2012 NYC Street Fairs and Festivals