Known originally as The Greenwich Society of Artists, our founders and pioneer members included many distinguished artists and art patrons. Our first president was Edward Clark Potter, sculptor of the lions at the New York Public Library. Early members were Leonard Ochtman, Elmer MacRae, George Wharton Edwards, J. Alden Twachtman (son of John Henry Twachtman) and others associated with the famous Cos Cob School, several of them leaders in the American Impressionist movement.
Exhibitions of the Society were held in the hilltop house donated to the town by Robert M. Bruce, when it became the Bruce Museum. In 1928 the prestigious Annual Members' Exhibition moved to the art gallery of the Greenwich Library.