Simon Njami about : art trends: tired of participating?

http://db-artmag.com/en/87/feature/art-trends-tired-of-participating/
 


Simon Njami
Curator, Author and Art Critic, Paris
Photo: David Damoison

Simon Njami

We don’t have to participate. I don’t have to participate. Participating, for me, is a passive position. It means going with the crowd. It means being politically correct. The world is dying of this participation that leaves no room for controversy or discussion. When people say participate, they necessarily mean “doing something for the good cause.” Being part of the rightful. I don’t care. I want to be able to have my own opinion, even if it does not please the majority. I cherish the critical gaze that makes me different. What would be the world if everyone would be “participating”? All the totalitarian regimes were build on participation. When we read Orwell’s 1984 we see that those who don’t participate are immediately looked at as guilty, as troublemakers. I want to be a troublemaker. I want to have an opinion of my own. Instead of participating, I want to be acting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soon opening at the Whitney

meet the artist Liam Roberts